Dakshineswara TempleDescription :
Located on the banks of Hooghly river, the temple was built by Rani Rashmoni and is dedicated to Bhavatrani, a form of Goddess Kali. It was constructed on 81,000 sq meter plot at Saheban Bagicha, and the land was bought from an Englishman, John Hastie.
National Library of India
National Library of IndiaDescription :
The National Library of India is the largest library in India by volume and India’s library of public record. Situated on scenic 30 acre Belvedere Estate, the library is designated to collect, disseminate and preserve the printed material produced in India.
Asiatic SocietyDescription :
Established to promote oriental research, the Society was founded by Sir William Jones on Jan 15th 1784, in a meeting presided over by Sir Robert Chambers, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court at the Fort William in Calcutta, the then capital of the British Raj.
India MuseumDescription :
The Indian museum is one of the oldest museums in the world and is also the largest in India. It was opened for public viewing in 1878, initially known as the Asiatic Society Museum, later was rechristened Imperial Museum, finally it was renamed Indian Museum.
Currency BuildingDescription :
Built in 1833 in Italian style, the building was known as Agra Bank. It got its current name after the government started using a large portion of the building for currency development in 1868. It housed the Reserve Bank of India till 1937. The Currency Building was built when Lord William Bentinck was the Governor General of the British India.
Rabindra SetuDescription :
Popularly known as Howrah Bridge, this cantilever bridge was built across the Hooghly River in Kolkata. The bride serves as a gateway to Kolkata, connecting it to Howrah station. This bridge is considered as an iconic landmark (Gateway of Kolkata) and symbol of Kolkata.
Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden
Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic GardenDescription :
Commonly known as Calcutta Botanical Garden, it was found by an army officer of the British East India Company, Colonel Robert Kyd, in 1787 to identify and grow plants of commercial value. In 1793 botanist William Roxbourgh brought plant specimens from all over India and established a herbarium, which later became the Central National Herbarium of the Botanical Survey of India.
Writer's BuildingDescription :
Writer’s building was designed by Thomas Lyon in 1777. The building originally served as an office for British East India Company's clerical and administrative staff called as writers. Currently it houses the Chief Minister’s office and secretariat of West Bengal Government.
Marble PalaceDescription :
Marble Palace, a palatial nineteenth century mansion, is one of the best preserved and most elegant houses of that era in Kolkata. It is famous for its marble walls and floors from which it derives its name. Built in 1835 by a wealthy Bengali merchant Raja Rajendra Mullick, it continues to serve as a residence to his descendants.
Magen David Syangogue
Magen David SyangogueDescription :
Magen David Syangogue was built in 1884 by Elias David Joseph Ezra in memory of his father David Joseph Ezra. The synagogue was modelled based on Italian Renaissance style with a red brick finish. The approach door is arched type with a hexagonal “Star of David” inscribed on it.
Fort WilliamDescription :
Fort William holds special significance in the history of Kolkata. It’s situated on the banks of River Hooghly. Originally the fort was constructed by the East India Company in 1696. It was done under the supervision of John Goldsborough. The fort was named after King William III in 1700.
Kolkata Race Course
Kolkata Race CourseDescription :
The Kolkata race course was built in 1820 and was maintained by the Royal Calcutta Turf Club. During the period of Warren Hastings, the races were held outside Kolkata. It’s one of the major attractions of the Kolkata city because it has been a symbol of British rule over two centuries.
Victoria MemorialDescription :
Victoria memorial was dedicated to Queen Victoria after her death in 1901, by Lord Curzon, the then Viceroy of British India. It was intended to serve as a tribute to the success of British Empire in India. Using Indo-Saracenic style with Moghul architectural elements, the memorial was designed by Sir William Emerson. Its foundation stone was laid in 1906 and the construction was completed in 1921.
Lascar War Memorial
Lascar War MemorialDescription :
Situated on Napier Road in the Hastings area of Kolkata, the monument is dedicated to the memory of 896 Lascars (sailor or militiaman from Indian Subcontinent) who died during the World War I, while fighting on behalf of Royal Navy. The memorial was erected by shipping and mercantile companies.
General Post Office
General Post OfficeDescription :
Kolkata GPO was designed in 1864 by Walter B. Grenville. The site of this building was the same place were the Fort Williams once existed. The museum displays a wide collection of artefacts and stamps. The south-western end of the building houses Philatelic Bureau.
Shaheed MinarDescription :
The construction of this monument started in 1825 as a dedication to Major-General Sir David Ochterlony, commander of British East India Company, to honour his success in defending Delhi against Marathas in 1804 and victory of the East India Company over the Ghurkhas in the Anglo-Nepalese War.
BBD Bagh (Dalhousie Square)
BBD Bagh (Dalhousie Square)Description :
BBD Bagh Building and its surrounding area were established in 1880. It’s a British Landmark and was considered as a seat of power. It was constructed around the Lal Dighi tank and was initially called the Tank square. Later it was renamed Dalhousie square.